10 tips to prevent skin cancer and premature ageing of the skin
.Are you already thinking about your well-deserved summer holiday? And can you barely wait to sit at the edge of the pool, cocktail in hand, and take a refreshing dive in the water? Then, let us not forget to protect our skin, and the skin of our family members! The sun holds certain risks as well: the risk for skin cancer increases and our skin starts to age prematurely.
Adapted sun protection
It is best to use our common sense while sunbathing: for every skin type, there is an adapted sun protection. This is expressed as an SPF (Sun Protection Factor), going from low protection (SPF 2-4-6) to products with a 50+ protection factor.
Our photo type, our skin colour, from pale to dark, is the basis of our choice of products.
Follow these tips and safely enjoy the sun!
- Avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm.
- A child’s skin is more sensitive to UV rays. Children under the age of 3 should be kept out of the sun and should wear a t-shirt, hat and a pair of sunglasses, in combination with a 50+ sunscreen.
- Everybody should apply a sufficient amount of sunscreen, about 30 minutes before exposure to the sun. And, very important: reapply every 2 to 3 hours, regardless of the product!
- Keep in mind that you cannot compare the SPF of different companies. Company A’s 50+ product will not protect you in the same way as the 50+ product from company B.
- A “sun block”, “écran total” or “total protection” does not exist: a sun product will never completely protect you from the sun!
- In case of a drier skin, choose a richer cream. In case of an oily skin, choose a lighter texture, such as a lotion.
- If you regularly take a dip, use a waterproof texture. Warning: also reapply these products every 2 to 3 hours!
- Some medicines can cause a reaction if you are exposed to the sun for too long. Use a high protection.
- The closer you are to the equator, the faster you will get burned. This is the same if you are up in the mountains.
- After sunbathing, it would not harm to treat your skin to a refreshing, caring and hydrating aftersun lotion.
Now, there is nothing left for me then to wish you all a nice, well-tanned, well-deserved summer holiday!
Welcome to our Viata blog. Here you can find anything concerning health and well-being. For us, this comes first.
- How to use your metabolism to lose weight?
- How do you get enough exercise?
- Why do you need cholesterol?
- The best care for baby skins
- Toothache: causes and what you can do about it
- How do you get rid of a stuffy nose as quickly as possible?
- How to take care of abrasions?
- Scars: how do you make them less visible?
- Heading for an eating disorder? The dangers of laxatives...
- Get rid of headaches and migraines
- Tips to boost your vitamin D deficiency
- Take your Viata sun product on a holiday and win #viatasummer
- No more sun, but what about my tan? My 7 tips
- 10 facts about sunbathing
- 10 tips to prevent skin cancer and premature ageing of the skin